Last night was our first official day of being open. It was a "free day" for everyone in the city. Friday, and Saturday. Let me recap my night, and let me tell you, it was the night from heck.
First off, I was the head guard. That wasn't a problem. The problem is the pool itself. Who ever designed it, should be fired. Because it is AWFUL! Anyway, we had near capacity... 1033 people. If you can imagine that many people in one pool area. Should I spout of our totals? Sure... Why not? We had 11 water rescues. 9 lost children [looking for parents], 7 first aid situations (including front teeth knocked out), a drunk lady, and last but not least, threats on children's lives. Really?! Yes, it was pretty hectic, and I was running around with my head cut off. Trying to be extra eyes to help the guards, help with first aid situations, trying to figure out who is calling me (double whistles), and everything in between. My supervisor has set up our whistling system so that one whistle is to get a patrons attention, two is to get another guard or head guard's attention, and three when going in for a save.
I have a few problems with the three whistles. Why? Because it's confusing! When you have 20 guards on duty, all blowing whistles at people, it can sound like there is a triple whistle, and then I have to go find the source, and usually it's just three guards whistling right after another. Another reason, I feel like it takes too much time to whistle three times, and I find that it is very hard for me to do so. I can't think about whistling three times and trying to jump in to save someone. It's a hassle. And my last reason, I've been trained for a very long blast while going in for a save. When you go to jump in, you start your whistle blast and it should still be going when you hit the water. That way, you draw everyone's attention to you, as well as the head guard, because it's a lot easier for me to find you, instead of three individual blasts. BUT my supervisor believes the other way is better... UGH, so I guess I have to comply, but I don't like it.
SO, there was my night. Long, crazy, and I pray it will never be that busy again. Which, I know it won't, but I pray anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment